How to Easily Borrow Airtime from MTN
Finding yourself low on airtime when you urgently need to make important calls or send texts? MTN’s airtime borrowing services come in handy when you need emergency airtime credit before your next recharge.
In this comprehensive guide, we explore the step-by-step process of borrowing airtime from MTN in Nigeria and South Africa using USSD codes and IVR menus.
Overview of MTN Airtime Borrowing
MTN offers prepaid subscribers the ability to take short-term airtime loans and repay later from their next recharge. This temporary credit facility is available via:
- MTN XtraTime (Nigeria) – Access using USSD code *303# or IVR menu by dialing 303
- MTN XtraTime (South Africa) – Access via USSD code 1362#
It provides quick emergency airtime when you run out mid-cycle but need to continue communicating. The loan amount plus applicable fees gets deducted from your next recharge automatically.
Now let’s look at how to easily borrow airtime from MTN in Nigeria and South Africa.
Borrowing Airtime via USSD in Nigeria
Nigerian MTN subscribers can borrow airtime by dialling the USSD access code as follows:
Step 1: Dial *303#
Dial *303# on your mobile phone to bring up the MTN menu
Step 2: Select XtraTime
Choose “XtraTime” from the menu options
Step 3: Input Loan Amount
Select your desired airtime loan amount from displayed options
Step 4: Review and Confirm
Verify loan details and confirm transaction including 15% service fee
Step 5: Receive Airtime
The approved loan amount less service fee will be credited to your account instantly
USSD access makes borrowing emergency airtime quick and hassle-free.
Borrowing Airtime via IVR in Nigeria
You can also borrow airtime from MTN Nigeria by using the interactive voice response system:
Step 1: Dial 303
Call 303 from your phone and select your preferred language
Step 2: Select XtraTime
Choose the “XtraTime” option from the IVR menu
Step 3: Input Loan Amount
Listen to available amounts and input choice using your keypad
Step 4: Confirm Transaction
Follow prompt to authorize loan including 15% service fee
Step 5: Get Airtime
The approved loan amount less fee will be credited to you instantly
So both USSD and IVR menu provide easy access to emergency airtime loans.
Borrowing Airtime via USSD in South Africa
To borrow airtime on MTN South Africa, dial the USSD code as follows:
Step 1: Dial 1362#
Dial 1362# to bring up MTN XtraTime menu
Step 2: Select Loan Amount
Choose desired airtime loan amount from the options displayed
Step 3: Review and Confirm
Verify loan details and confirm the transaction
Step 4: Receive Airtime
You will get approved loan amount credited to your account instantly
Step 5: Repay Later
The loan plus fees deduct automatically from your next recharge
Straightforward process for South African customers to get emergency airtime credit.
Repaying MTN Airtime Loans
For both Nigeria and South Africa, you repay the airtime loan as follows:
- The loan amount + service fee deduct automatically from your next airtime recharge
- You typically have 7 days to recharge enough to clear the loan
- If repayment is late, additional default penalties may apply
- Failure to repay on time can negatively impact borrowing eligibility
So be sure to repay on time to continue enjoying uninterrupted service.
Airtime Loan Eligibility and Limits
To qualify for MTN airtime loans, you must:
- Be an active MTN prepaid subscriber
- Meet MTN usage criteria
- Have sufficient loan limits available
Based on your past recharges, usage, plan etc. MTN determines:
- If you pre-qualify for loans
- Maximum amount you can borrow
- Frequency of borrowing if repaid on time
Higher usage amounts increase your eligibility for larger airtime loans. But limits apply to prevent default.
Checking Airtime Loan Eligibility
You can check if you qualify for loans and your max borrowing limit by:
- USSD – Dial *606# and select Airtime Loan
- IVR – Call 606 and choose Airtime Loan
- USSD – Dial 1365# and select Airtime Loan
This allows you to confirm eligibility before attempting to take a loan.
Airtime Loan Fees and Charges
When borrowing MTN airtime, be aware of these cost implications:
- Service fee – Typically 15% of loan amount deducted upfront
- Delay fees – Additional charges if repayment is late beyond the grace period
- Ineligibility – Defaulting can result in you being barred from future loans
So ensure you repay airtime loans on time to avoid extra penalties and service issues.
Troubleshooting Airtime Loan Issues
If you encounter problems taking airtime loans, try:
- Confirm you meet the eligibility criteria
- Check you have sufficient borrowing limit available
- Retry dialing the access USSD or IVR code
- Move to an area with better network signal
- Report issues to MTN customer care for assistance
- Provide any details needed by MTN for investigation
- Consider recharging more frequently to increase eligibility
MTN is available 24/7 to help resolve any airtime borrowing challenges faced.
Benefits of MTN Airtime Loans
Key benefits of borrowing airtime from MTN include:
- Get instant emergency airtime credit
- Continue important calls and texts
- Avoid missing crucial communication
- Maintain availability to contacts
- Convenient USSD and IVR access
- Pre-approved loan limits based on usage
- Pay back at ease later from next recharge
- Get SMS reminders to repay on time
So in a pinch, airtime loans provide temporary relief until you recharge again.
MTN’s airtime borrowing services offer prepaid subscribers in Nigeria and South Africa quick access to emergency airtime credit when needed. By dialing the USSD codes or using the IVR menu, you can take short-term airtime loans to stay connected when your balance runs out before your next recharge. Be sure to check your eligibility status, understand applicable fees, and repay loans on time to continue enjoying uninterrupted service. Used responsibly, borrowing airtime provides a financial lifeline when you need it most.
What is the maximum airtime amount I can borrow?
The max loan amount depends on your usage history and eligibility status, but is typically 100 to 500 airtime units.
How many times can I borrow airtime per month?
You can take several loans per month if you repay on time. Your repayment history determines frequency.
Can I take a new loan before repaying previous?
No, you must repay any outstanding airtime loans first before taking another.
What if I delay repaying beyond the grace period?
Additional default fees up to 50% of loan amount apply if repayment is late beyond the specified grace period.
If I switch to postpaid, can I still get loans?
No, airtime borrowing is only available to active prepaid subscribers. Postpaid users cannot access emergency loans.
So in summary, MTN’s airtime borrowing services offer quick emergency cash injection when balance runs out before your next recharge.